Creation and development of the animal welfare association “Tierschutz macht Schule”.
The Austrian animal welfare association “Tierschutz macht Schule” was founded in May 2006 based on article 2 of the newly adopted national Animal Welfare Act:
“The federal, provincial and municipal authorities are obliged to create and deepen an understanding of animal protection among the public and in particular young people and, within their budgetary provision, to promote and support animal-friendly husbandry systems, animal welfare research as well as any animal protection projects."
Our association owes its creation and development to a group of dedicated individuals and organisations committed to sharing knowledge of animal welfare practices with children, young people and adults. Many of our supporters work on a voluntary basis. Since its foundation, our association has worked closely with Austrian government bodies such as the Federal Ministries of Education and of Health and Women's Affairs, and education boards, research scientists (Institute of Animal Husbandry and Animal Welfare), animal welfare ombudsmen, vets, zoos and media representatives.
For their exceptional commitment and significant contribution to the development of our association we would like to express special thanks to (in alphabetic order):
- Gabriele Damoser (Head of Department II/B/11 “Animal Welfare”, Federal Ministry of Labour, Social Affairs, Health and Consumer Protection, member)
- Maggie Entenfellner (Senior Wildlife Editor, Kronen Zeitung, Vice President and Secretary of the association since 2006)
- Gabriela Götz-Ritchie (Deputy Head of Department I/A/4, “Public Relations”, Federal Ministry of Public Service and Sports, member)
- Hermann Gsandtner (Animal Husbandry Coordinator, City of Vienna Department 58, member of the association and the advisory board)
- Ulrich Herzog (Head of Section II, Group B “Consumer Health and Veterinary Services”, Federal Ministry of Labour, Social Affairs, Health and Consumer Protection, member)
- Martin Janovsky (Animal Welfare Ombudsman, Tyrol, member of the association and the advisory board)
- Helmut Pechlaner (Zoo Director of Tiergarten Schönbrunn from 1992 to 2006, Chair of “Tierschutz macht Schule” from 2006 to 2009, member)
- Günther Pfaffenwimmer (Head of Department for Environmental Education, Ministry of Education from 1995 to 2015, member of the association and the advisory board)
- Rainer Radlinger (Kosch und Partner Solicitors, member)
- Maria Rauch-Kallat (Minister of Health and Women’s Affairs from 2003 to 2007)
- Cornelia Rouha-Mülleder (Chief Public Officer for Veterinary Services, Upper Austria, member and Chair of the advisory board)
- Marie-Helene Scheib (Managing Director of “Tierschutz macht Schule” from 2006 to 2015, member)
- Erik Schmid (Chief Public Officer for Veterinary Services, Vorarlberg, member of the association and the advisory board)
- Dagmar Schratter (Zoo Director of Tiergarten Schönbrunn, President of “Tierschutz macht Schule” since 2009)
- Josef Troxler (Head of the Institute of Animal Husbandry and Animal Welfare from 1996 to 2017, University of Veterinary Medicine Vienna).